Lilli Marleen

Lillis place for rants and musing about life, universe and the whole rest. Mostly left, mostly sarcastic, sometimes in german, sometimes in Lilli-english.

You look for the Song Lilli Marleen?


My email:
LilliMarleen_Weblog AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk
If the 400 characters in my comments are not enough, just mail me!

As you might see soon, english is not my mothertongue. And since english speaking people are used to others stumble around in their language, I hope I don't make too much of an idiot of myself here. So - my deepest apologies adressed to the English Language for not worshipping her better.

My about page is here




My Atom Feed
Blogs I like:
Arons Israel Peace Weblog
Daddy, Papa & Me
ectophensis
The Lefty Directory
view from the back window of my pickup truck
Hi, I'm black!
Eschaton
Papa Scott
A Fistful Of Euros
The Russian Dilettante
Little Yellow Different


German Blogs I read:

ap-project
Lyssas Lounge
London Leben
industrial-technology and witchcraft
Anke Groener
Almost a Diary
Denkmetho.de
l.o.g
lawblog
Beruf Terrorist
blog.nrwspd.de


Other links:
Social Democrats in Germany
Die Zeit
(a german newspaper)
Spiegel
(the german magazine)
Underground
Internet Ancient History Sourcebook
Roots of English Dictionary
Rautavistische Universitaet


Disclaimer

Webrings

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

< ? blogs by women # >

< ? I Talk Back # >







disclaimer
Feedback by blogBack
www.blogwise.com
Blogarama This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Samstag, Mai 29, 2004
 
Good British Food
Okay, I know, many of Germans do think British Food is plain awful.

They judge it by what they either found themselves in some British Pubs or by what they've been told by others. I must say - you are right, but in the same second you're oh so deadly wrong! Just think about it - imagine the pub around your corner, the one which is not the best one, where the sauce for the J├Ągerschnitzel is the cheapest Aldi choice, the Kakao is made with water and the Lasagna comes in an Aluminium box. One can survive eating there and sometimes you eat yourself there, but you know pretty well, it's not some representative kind of food you get there. And now imagine, German food would be judged by exactly this pub/ restaurant.

Mr. Lilli and I are the proud owners of some good British Cooking books and we use them often. Sure, there are things no civilized human being should be forced to eat, like english sausages for example, but I'd include the German "Saumagen" also to this list.

Here I found some nice recipe for meateaters like us:

Toad in the Hole

Ingredients:
125 gr (1 cup) plain (all purpose) flour
pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten
200 ml (one scant cup) milk
75 ml (1/3 cup) water
2 tablespoons beef drippings
250 gr chicken legs (without bones)
250 gr small "Rostbratw├╝rstchen"

First step: Mix salt and flour and make a well in the centre for the egg.
Add the egg.
Second: Half of the milk goes in, mix it all with a wooden spoon
Third: Beat it until smooth, then add the rest of the milk and all the water
Fourth: Beat it again. Then let it stand for about an hour.
Fourth b: Go and write some good Blog entries while waiting for the hour passing by.
Forth c: Pre-heat the Oven at about 200 C/ 425 F
Fifth: Add the drippings to one large pan, then cut up the chicken and the sausage that you have it all over the pan.
Sixth: Heat the pan in the oven for a few minutes until it's very hot, then put it out again and in goes the batter all over the sausages and the chicken.
Seventh: Back into the oven to cook for about 35 minutes until it's golden brown at the surface. Don't open the oven for at least 30 minutes!
Eigth: Serve it hot with a nice gravy (chicken or so)

This is not really Finest Cuisine, but Wondergirl loves that stuff. You can eat it with Ketchup, so children will be great with it, you can also make it "finer" with some grated cheese and some Red Wine Sauce, if you like to.

We also love stuff like Mulligatowny Soup, Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding or Cranachan (Recipe can be found somewhere in my archieves, I have no idea, where).

Mr. Lilli has some kind of "Good Pub Detector" included. He always finds great places for food when we're around.